Wednesday, December 14, 2005

It makes me ashamed to be Australian

...when the PM watches a riot influenced by race and says, "but I do not want to say that Aussies are racist"

It makes me sick

...when people take "Waltzing Matilda" and sing it as a war cry to attack fellow Australians.

It makes me angry

...when an ocker bloke grabs a young girl's head scarf and runs off with it as if its a trophy.

It is not surprising that a lot of people, including the media, wish to discern the one central factor which has lead to the Cronulla race-riots last week - and they wonder is it race, alcohol, heat, youth, testosterone... rather than being ready to examine the complex interplay of these factors and more. Whatever the case, reading Bonhoeffer in the lead up to Christmas has been a good choice...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it was just dreadful, I was so shocked to see the riots on the news - you wouldn't think that we have these issues in Australia, but (obivously) we do, and we need to do more about it so that inequalities are resolved.